11/19/10

CM adaptation - redesign

Last time, I told you about how I tried to showcase the CM members' traits in their initial designs, which were rejected; following that, I discovered that a couple of video adaptations had been made from their adventures. I decided to try and follow that as a guideline.
This was the result.

Seldom have I drawn something that depressed me so terribly. There was so little variation in how the boys looked, it absolutely killed me. Identical clothing. Monochromatic color scheme. Largely average heights and complexions. Every variation (hair color, footwear, etc.) was greeted with the relief usually reserved for police officers interrupting a mugging. About as much personality, in short, as a socket wrench.
I submitted this design--and they liked it... But that's not the final twist in the tale. I discovered that I would actually have to pay out of my own pocket to adapt the stories and publish, instead of the "parent" company chipping in. It didn't take much cogitation to decide the effort simply wouldn't be worth it; the whole shebang is now history, except for what you see before you now.
Roll credits!

Drawn using:
No. 2 pencil (sketch)
Black 0.4 mm pilot pen
Black 0.5 mm pilot pen
Serif PhotoPlus 6.0

No comments:

Post a Comment